Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gainesville, Fl

     Friday, as expected, we awoke to a beautiful morning at Ft Desoto. But this was going to be a travel day, so we aren't going to be able to enjoy the sights.  It was now time for our visit with the Doody's in Gainesville which seems to be a yearly event, and something we really look forward to. Quite a severe thunderstorm struck Gainesville prior to our arrival, but the drive up was uneventful with only a nice easy rain.  Traffic was not too bad, and my navigator was able to find an easier route than Satellite Sue was showing.
      Aunt Anita  resides in Gainesville and is extremely fortunate to have family living close by.  Patricia (Tish) and her husband Bob are the explorers in the family, with yearly pilgrimages  to Ireland.  They have done extensive work over the years researching the Doody/O'Driscoll  family, and Bob has actually written several books on the subject.  We call Bob our "Italian Tour Guide" as he and Tish have lead us and numerous family members all around Ireland over the years.  It is really a treat to sit and listen to Bob driving down the road, relaying a running narrative of the history around us.  He's now building a chart of the family, pulling years of research into one document showing the family back to our great-grandparents in Ireland.
      Cousin Johnny and his wife Pam (you remember him from previous writings), live close by, and he seems to enjoy the arrival of his cousin from N.Y.   This year, shortly after our arrival across the street, he arrived carrying a welcome bottle of Irish Whiskey, which we've been into just a little bit this weekend.  I usually try and synchronize my whiskey drinking with cool weather, but I don't want to insult the relatives.
                                                  \

     When I left Mooers a month ago, the taillights on the jeep were all working properly which, as many of you know, is quite unusual for me.  I really don't recall too many vehicles being towed by me, having operational tail lights.  And the last week or so, I started developing a ground problem between Weezy and the jeep which of course caused the jeep's taillights to quit working.  But in a moment of brilliance before departing Mooers, I packed a second, more durable, wiring harness anticipating this type of problem.  So Saturday, I casually mentioned by tail light issues to Bob and Johnny, and pretty soon the tools were out, and the troubleshooting began.  The above photos are the wiring diagrams Bob and Johnny drew for me, since we were going to change the plug on the new wire harness.  We were going to change from a 7-wire plug to a 4-wire plug, and a wiring diagram may come in handy someday.  When the job was complete, Bob handed me the paper, and told me to never lose it.
      Now, ya'll remember that after my visit with Cousin Tim in Port St Lucie a few weeks back, I wrote that Timmy was my new favorite cousin. But now I was in Gainesville, and cousin Johnny seems bound and determined to win back my favors.  For dinner last night, Johnny came over with fresh baked biscuits still hot from the oven and placed 2 of them on my dinner plate.  Now Johnny seized the opportunity to jump in and help with my tail lights.  Now ya'll be the judge, cause pictures don't lie.  You can see Bobby diligently working on the wiring harness.  Wiring chart close by...multi meter in hand.  Unfortunately I'm taking the photo, but if you could see me, you would see the sweat rolling off of my brow also.  Cousin Johnny appears to be quite comfortable doesn't he???
And I believe he's resting his bottle of Jameson's  on my rear bumper!  There's the photo.....you be the judge!  
     OK, here's another photo of Johnny providing significant assistance with the project.  Maybe I was the one who was the slacker in the bunch.  The lights are working fine now.  My thanks to both of them.  I think this Gainesville crew is going to be  my favorite bunch.  
     Actually, coming to Aunt Anita's is just like coming home.  Hours are passed on the back porch, reminiscing about days gone by, as well as future prospects.  As more and more Doody's gather out there, the stories tend to get a little more flamboyant.  Should the Jameson start flowing, one needs to follow the stories closely, because the story may change just a little bit tomorrow.  

     Tonight Debbie and I will be paying the group back with a pork loin dinner cooked on my Holland grill.  I need to do something since 'Tish came through this morning with a wonderful breakfast for everyone. Scrambled eggs with bacon, and a hash brown and cheese casserole.  Delicious!  This afternoon we're enjoying some nice thunderstorms.  It makes for a nice lazy afternoon.  A little Irish tea and a little more visiting. Tomorrow we head over toward Pensacola and we'll meet up with another cousin, Annette later in the week.  I know that's going to be a good time.     

3 comments:

  1. Poor Bob...the two Irish guys are sitting around drinking whiskey and the Italian is hard at work...probably telling him they have a better idea the whole time! Though it was probably forgotten after a few of those drinks, in typical Doody/Irish fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken as if by someone who has been there! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope cousin Johnny has some room at his home when Debbie and I want to move in when your old and fragile (as you posted about your than favorite cousin)... And to think I was just about to send you my gate code!!!

    ReplyDelete