Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sun and Fun @ Bluewater Key-Key West

     On Friday we headed east from Imperial Bonita Estates on I-75 headed for our next destination, Bluewater Key RV Resort @ MM14 on U.S. 1.  Traveling on Friday seemed to be a good idea as we didn't want to get caught in the weekend traffic into the Keys.  I'm not sure if our trip to Ft Lauderdale Airport with Princess at Christmas resembles weekend traffic on U.S.1 into the Keys, but I know it's an event I want to avoid at all costs.
The trip across Florida and south into the Keys was uneventful.  Traffic was light, and we had hoped to utilize my new Go Pro camera and video some of the journey south, but it looks like I failed to properly charge the batteries, and they went dead within a few minutes of the video attempt.  P-P-P-P-P-P-P, and I thought everything was ready to rock and roll as we started south from Homestead.  And I had my hillbilly Go Pro tripod ready to go.
 Oh well, we'll try it northbound in a few weeks.
     We settled into site 69, overlooking the bay, and enjoyed a nice breeze blowing through our tiki hut.  There's a nice refrigerator in the tiki hut, so our adult refreshments are right at hand.
This is very important when you're battling a bright sun and and a brisk wind forcing wind chills down to the upper 70's!  Debbie keeps the Rondackers handy for just these types of emergencies.  Luckily we found an ABC store in Bonita Springs that carried our Bombay Gin on sale in 1.75 L. bottles, so I'm confident we'll make it through the next 2 weeks.

     Our first 2 days here were a little windy and cooler than we'd like, but day 3 the sun popped out and the temperature soared into the 80's.  We had lots of activity at IBE, but down here on the island, our pace is slowing down.  Debbie says she want to soak the heat right into her bones, and is perfectly content to sit on the waterfront and let the day pass by.
Not quite sure what the water temperature is here in the bay, but after hearing there were lobsters out there just waiting to be captured, I had to take a try at it.  I checked out YouTube and saw a couple of videos on how to capture those delicious crustaceans, and I soon found myself floating in the bay ready to test my new but untested skills.  Now when we arrived, our hosts told me that one lucky diver out here had located quite a few lobsters, and had several great dinners during her stay.  She just failed to tell me exactly where the little bastards were hiding!  I looked for quite a while, but didn't see a single one.  They are out here, cause they are putting lobster traps out across the bay.  But it looks like they stay under the rocks and will need a little more prodding to get them out.  The water temperature is kinda like Lake George during the summer - takes your breathe away for just a second or two, and then is very refreshing.
It definitely beats the current alternative of cutting a hole in the ice and going fishing, which is occurring up home.  Debbie even got up the courage of testing the waters, and soon I had to hike up to Big Red and retrieve her sun hat.   I  stayed in the water a little too long and got a little sunburned on my chest, but not bad enough to cause any discomfort.  "Red is a color, right MaryAnne???"
     Sunday afternoon we drove over to Geiger Key Fish Camp to enjoy their chicken and pork barbecue.  The crowd was small because of the upcoming Superbowl, but they had a nice calypso band, the beer was cold, and the barbecue was pretty good.  I gotta get used to those black beans though.  We had a nice waterside table, and enjoyed a terrific sunset on the bay.  We left right after the National Anthem, and were home within 10 minutes.  We settled in and watched a great football game, and screamed at the tv when Seattle made the stupidest play in Superbowl history at the end.  In 30 years, when our grand-kids are reading this blog, they can look it up.  I bet it will still be the stupidest play in Superbowl history!
Geiger Key

No comments:

Post a Comment